My Favorite Comments, Books and Notes on Leadership
- Success is going from failure to failure without loosing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
- How to make your dreams come true - you do it by working.” - Walt Disney
- Energy needed to inspire others!
- Do not stop dreaming
- Originality is the best marketing and advertizing
- Keep creative people around you
- Jeff Bezos - Amazon.
Content is King
Must be customer centric
Invention is in our DNA
Be stubborn on the big things, and flexible on the details
Be willing to fail and be misunderstood
Danger of professional managers is they try to change the vision
- Steve Jobs - CEO Apple Computer.
“Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
"Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets.”
"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice.
"...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
You've got to start with customer experience and then build the technology.
Be a yardstock of quality. Some people are not used to an environment where excellance is expected
- From Apple we can learn:
The passion for beauty and excellence.
To be daily challenged with innovation.
To focus on where we make a difference.
Sell dreams and experiences, not products.
In presentations, simplify and use short one sentence vision statements.
- Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels
Many lessons from the courage of Esther.
When are you going to make your mark?
When are you going to start leading courageously?
We are going to have to....a more relevant, thoughtful and creative...
Create ... dream teams.
- Good to Great by Jim Collins.
Get great people.
Focus on your passion.
Must be something where you can be best.
Let this drive an economic engine.
- MichaelHyatt.com blog
- Jack Welch - The 4 E's of Leadership.
E - Great people have energy.
E - They energize others.
E - Seem to have the edge in making decisions.
E - They can execute (get things done).
P - They have passion.
Also create a vision, then get out of the way!
Also get ideas from anyone and everywhere!
- From Google we can learn:
Get smart people.
Establish a creative environment.
Be an outlet for ideas.
Encourage user-centered design.
Recognize ideas can come from anywhere.
- "God is more interested in our success (in church growth) than we are", "When there is no growth, The root cause is the leaderships lack of vision for the church by failure to fellowship with the Holy Spirit" - Paul Cho From a book called "Win" we can learn:
- Make things happen - be a CEO
- Happy people are more likely to be creative
- Only the Paranoid Survive, Andy Grove (Intel) –
Sooner or later, something fundamental in your business world will change.
- Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action: see video on TED.
“Steve Jobs was able to get into a user's mind and determine the best.”
Steve Jobs speaks in public at 5th and 6th grade level.
People like change and new things, but they like it in small steps.
Need to connect with our users.
- People don't buy what you do they buy why you do it
- Hire people that believe what you believe and not because they can do a job.
- We follow those who lead not because we have to but because we want to.
- Clean up your work area. Messy desk means spending up to 60 minutes per day looking for things or being distracted by things
- Start each day with a plan, do the right things, else the loudest voice in the day will run the day.
- Take breaks – Lunch and breaks keeps our batteries charged and ready for the new challenges.
My tribute to Steve Jobs who passed away ...October 5, 2011
Steve Jobs has said "follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well-worn path", this sounds like Ecclesiast. 3:11 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts...." The word beautiful in the verse also characterizes the way Steve designs things.
Steve said "Don't loose heart" which sounds like Phil 3:13 But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call ....
Steve said " If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle. which sounds like Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Also like Matthew 7:7 " Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. "
Steve Jobs, great user experience in his products but he also had a spiritual side. He did not believe things were random.